17 Mar How to prepare Salmorejo
What happens if you mix tomatoes, bread, garlic and olive oil? The result is a very tasty dish called Salmorejo. Salmorejo is one of the most popular specialties in Southern Spain, (originally from Córdoba). The best way to try it would be at a local bar in Andalucia but if you can’t make it, we invite you to try at home with this very easy recipe:
So, get your blender ready and your pen and paper to take notes of the ingredients that you need to buy:
- 1 Kg of red sweet tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 gr of Olive Oil
- A teaspoon of salt
- 150 gr of doughy bread
Yes! That’s all you need…
It is very common to use small pieces of sliced Iberian ham and boiled eggs as toppings to add some extra flavor to your Salmorejo so do not hesitate to add them just before serving it.
Once you have bought all the ingredients, you are ready to start. Keep calm, the recipe is very easy to cook and it will be delicious.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them in four pieces. Place the tomatoes in the blender and blend for two minutes (aprx) at a high speed until smooth.
- Add the break (previously cut in small pieces) and the garlic and leave them soaking with the tomatoes just for few minutes before start blending the whole mixture.
- Add the teaspoon of salt and keep blending until the mixture gets a smooth texture.
- Add olive oil slowly and blend at a lower speed. Taste it and add few drops of white wine vinegar, more salt, bread or garlic according to your palate but the result should be a balanced tasty and creamy soup. The truth is that there is not a mathematical recipe. It is quite open to everyone’s palate
- Finally, put it in the fridge to keep it cold
- Serve it cold with or without the toppings mentioned above (small pieces of Iberian ham and boiled eggs) and enjoy it!
TIPS ON WHEN & HOW TO EAT IT
Spring and summer times are the ideal seasons! In the warm and hot weather is just so refreshing and healthy having a home made salmorejo as a starter or aperitif. It is the classical tapa to try at a local bar in Córdoba over lunch time!
We would like to challenge you and see your recipes. Please, send us your photos to email@example.com and we will post them on Instagram.